Wailly, Charles de
From 1776 onward, several architects were asked to consider how the royal collection might be exhibited in the Grande Galerie. One architect, De Wailly, suggested orchestrating this very long space with Serlian arches (composed of one large arch set on columns detached from the wall). His idea was later adapted and can still be recognized in the Grande Galerie today. De Wailly also planned to block up the windows, creating niches for portraits of the Great Men of France, a project launched by the comte d’Angiviller and pursued during the Revolution.
Cross Section of the Interior of the Grande Galerie – circa 1785 (?) – Black chalk, black ink, and colored wash – Department of Prints and Drawings, Musée du Louvre, Paris (RF 30638)
© Musée du Louvre / Arts graphiques © RMN / Jean-Gilles Berizzi