The premises occupied by the Duc de Nevers were probably the largest in the Louvre—and some of the largest in Paris. Many small edifices were erected within the high walls of Louis XIV’s abandoned project—the large windows of the unfinished riverside façade were converted into doorways with steps leading down to the garden. This cross section shows the complexity of the duke’s dwelling, composed of several small buildings with their own inner courtyards.
Cross Section of the Duc de Nevers’ Premises – circa 1750 (?) – Pen and black ink, ruling pen, and wash - Archives Nationales, Paris (O¹ 1667, folder 2, item 44)
© 2010 Musée du Louvre / Angèle Dequier